Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why did YOU stop posting on Suzuki Savage Cafe? (Read 116 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Why did YOU stop posting on Suzuki Savage Cafe?
04/29/24 at 06:36:36

In your response please state if you still have a Suzuki Savage motorcycle.  

I fear this is at the root of the problem somewhere in there .......  along with our list age distribution.

btw .....     FSO means former Savage owner as I am mostly crippled now and do not ride anything other than a motorized wheel chair.

« Last Edit: 04/29/24 at 08:51:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Why did YOU stop posting on Suzuki Savage Cafe
Reply #1 - 04/29/24 at 07:55:31

Still Ridding , but don't have a LS-650 anymore.   I had some wonderful years on the two LS-650s that I owned.   Smiley

My last one got to getting really bad fuel millage .    At one point in its life it got almost 60 mpg , but when I sold it the average was 48 mpg.  
We all know that stock seat was "Really terrible".  The Harley seat I replaced it with was getting ragged with a tear in it at the front right .
So ,
I had the idea to put a Corbin on it , reseat the valves and new piston/rings .
But
One day a guy said : "Hay , That's a nice looking bike" !
Well , I asked him what he would give me for it ?  
When I bought it for $1500.00 the bike had a dead battery.  
So , I rode it for about 10 years and then the New Owner offered me $1500.00 for it ...  that seamed like a fair deal to me !!   Wink

Maybe , I'm getting lazy ?  
But , the New bike that replaced the LS-650 sits just like the LS-650 , feels like the LS-650 , and I didn't need to do anything except fill it up with fuel !   Smiley Smiley
Sometimes , I miss the extra 6-7 HP I lost in the equation , but I'm OK with acting my age now that 70 years young is in rear-view-mirror .  And I've got 75-85 mpg and a 4 gallon fuel tank now .

I might be on a 125cc street bike in another 20-25 years ... ?
Maybe something like a new version of this ?   Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ15mbuE_pw

450px-1975_honda_CD175_002.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/29/24 at 08:54:45

MMRanch - You are far from needing an automatic 250cc.  You were slinging around that Super Meteor pretty good on the Twisted Sisters a couple weeks ago!  I like your bike, but I’m short.  The taller seat height compared to the Savage was something that didn’t work for me when I explored the Super Meteor at a local dealership.  It definitely works for you though!

I’m actually considering selling my Honda Shadow Spirit 750 and going back to the S40 project bike I just bought.  At 350lbs compared to 520lbs, it’s appealing to me.  When I saw the guys slinging around the little Savages and I was trying to muscle through the curves, I was like “Hey”.  Then again, maybe some different handlebars would give me better leverage and feel.  I do like the super low seat height of the Shadow (like 25” laden).  About 2” lower than the Savage when laden.  Vertically challenged people problems!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 04/29/24 at 11:04:09

A good set of bars can make a lot of difference in riding feel.
Try that first, and even if you sell the Honda you can still use the same or similar bar style that fits your body.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/29/24 at 13:42:43

Thanks Lancer.  I will likely try that first.  I’ve had the Shadow less than a year and I’m not exactly ready to move away from it.  I may decide to keep both bikes.  What the heck!  Why not!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 04/29/24 at 16:49:58

Your right Paul :  Everybody need a "Me-Bike" and a "We-Bike"  even you !  Wink .  
I usually use the 650 as the "We-Bike" but my "Me-Bike" isn't Super-Slab (70mph and up) friendly and I know how Texas is !   Roll Eyes   My little 350cc may never get to join us for a Texas ride ?   But , that "Back-Roads-Ridding is what it's made for and we did a lot of that.  Huh

Here in TN. the Interstate speed limit is 70 mph and the default speed limit is 45 mph.  
so  
The ridding around at 45 - 65 mph doesn't demand much power from a "Me-Bike" .

Something to think about :
I've seen Dave , Lancer and Versey all have put the bigger pistons in their LS650 - bikes and get nice performance and fuel millage from them .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/29/24 at 17:31:23

I like the way you think, MM!!  Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 04/29/24 at 19:05:28

Dang , I might have to buy another S-40 ?

https://www.corbin.com/suzuki/ss40.shtml

That looks comfortable !     Smiley

S40_Corbin_002.jpg

ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 04/30/24 at 18:53:11

I haven't stopped posting but this thread will be buried several pages deep before many of those who have stopped posting but still visit even see it.  You might get some response if the thread was "stickied".  I'm guessing the majority that left are long gone for one reason or another.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 05/01/24 at 05:24:52

OhioMoto actually answered the question asked!  

I was going to answer, “Only the people that don’t post anymore can answer this question - but they won’t answer the question/post because they don’t post anymore.”   Roll Eyes Shocked

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 05/01/24 at 05:42:01

That’s a nice comfy looking Corbin saddle, MM!  But at $517, it would hurt my wallet more than my tushy hurts with the stock seat!

I’m frugal.  My wife says I’m cheap!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/01/24 at 09:13:24

ThumperPaul wrote on 05/01/24 at 05:24:52:
OhioMoto actually answered the question asked!  

I was going to answer, “Only the people that don’t post anymore can answer this question - but they won’t answer the question/post because they don’t post anymore.”   Roll Eyes Shocked

Yes, it appears that the forum has changed a bit in the 12 years I have been on.  There used to be a large number of "active" members who rode and chatted and participated on a regular basis.

We now have a few very skilled old guys who have been around a while - and they donate their time and respond to the repair questions from "Noobs" in the Rubber Side Down.  Once the problems are answered....the new members most often go away until they have another problem that needs to be solved.

This lack of activity in the Cafe' section is likely going to get more intense as the younger folks go to Facebook and other formats......I have seen several Savage groups created on Facebook - they are not nearly as helpful as this forum.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 05/01/24 at 20:53:24

I didn't stop. I just stepped out for a minute to pee.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #13 - 05/02/24 at 01:14:23

someone mentioned handlebars: Last summer I installed a Sportster handlebar, 28" wide.
Feels much better, the 'spread eagle' feel is gone, easier to control, $35 on Amazon.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 05/02/24 at 05:03:06

Zipi - I’ll check out those handlebars, but I think I want some that are almost “standard” like you might find on a scrambler.  The 28-30” seem about right.  A buddy has some like 34” beach bars and those just feel weird to me (like a big captain’s wheel on a boat).

Dave - your observations are probably spot on.  When I was a newbie a few years ago, I discovered the forum looking for answers to some problems.  And I still need the help of seasoned forum members occasionally today and probably over post on rubber side down.  Sometimes I post when I’m pretty sure I know something, but I share anyway in case someone else might benefit from the question and intel.  I like some of the conversations on The Cafe, but learning on Runner Side Down is where my main interest lies.  I’m an older member, but I actually enjoy the activity on SuzukiSavage.com more than FB.  I know this probably isn’t true for most of the younger generation.  They want to get their answer, fix their bike, and go back to their usual activities.

I’m glad I read the post about 2024 Rides and jumped in.  It was the memory of a lifetime getting to meet some of the great seasoned forum guys and ride the Texas Hill Country together.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 08:19:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why did YOU stop posting on Suzuki Savage Cafe?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.